Promoter Frank Warren says Tyson Fury has indicated he would come out of retirement to face Anthony Joshua in 2026 if the financial terms are acceptable, and talks between the camps are underway.
Warren told Sky Sports News he expects the long-awaited domestic heavyweight showdown to be targeted for late summer 2026, although nothing is signed yet. He believes negotiations are moving in the right direction and hopes an announcement will follow soon. Matchroom Boxing, who promote Joshua, are also reported to be keen on making the fight happen.
The potential clash between two of Britain’s leading heavyweights has been discussed for years but has never been realised. The Ring Magazine, owned by Turki Alalshikh of Riyadh Season, recently reported the bout is being lined up for 2026 and said both fighters are scheduled for separate appearances during Riyadh Season that year.
Joshua, 36, has not fought since his defeat to Daniel Dubois in September 2024. He returns to the ring this Friday in Miami against Jake Paul. Fury, 37, announced his latest retirement earlier this year after losing twice to Oleksandr Usyk in 2024.
Warren suggested Fury may take a tune-up fight if he comes back, but if the Joshua fight goes ahead — which Warren believes it will — it would likely be in late summer, leaving room for at least one intermediate bout. He also said Fury has been training full-time, looks in good shape and has repeatedly said he wants to return to the sport if the deal is right.
Warren described the matchup as the one fans have wanted for years and said it makes more sense to stage it now rather than wait several more years. He expects the fight would be a major event when it finally happens.
On Joshua’s imminent fight with Paul, Warren called it a risky assignment but backed Joshua to prevail. He pointed out Paul’s 12-fight record and argued Paul has never competed at this level or at heavyweight against a former two-time world champion and Olympic gold medallist who still ranks in the top 10 despite his loss to Dubois.
Warren warned that if Joshua were to lose to Paul, a showdown with Fury would be off the table. He also stressed the danger Paul faces, noting Paul’s knockout of Francis Ngannou as evidence that Paul can finish fights, but saying the Miami bout is a big step up and that Paul would be a heavy underdog unless he lands a spectacular punch.
For now, the promise of Fury vs Joshua in 2026 remains conditional on the right deal and the outcome of upcoming fights, but promoters on both sides appear to be laying the groundwork for what could become one of British boxing’s biggest domestic matchups.