Arne Slot has insisted Liverpool will keep fighting despite the club’s worst sequence of results in 71 years, and he is weighing changes ahead of Sunday’s trip to West Ham. The champions have now lost nine of their last 12 matches after a 4-1 defeat by PSV at Anfield, and for the first time since December 1953 they have suffered three consecutive defeats by three or more goals.
The stumble has intensified pressure on Slot ahead of the Premier League fixture, which is live on Sky Sports, but reports suggest the club’s hierarchy—mindful he delivered the title in his first season—intend to back him. Slot said conversations about his future have been unchanged since he arrived and added: ‘We fight on. We will try to improve.’ He urged the squad to keep battling together and to reward themselves when they play well, warning that a run of small mistakes being punished has produced ‘a very bad cocktail to have.’
Form concerns have focused attention on Mohamed Salah and Virgil van Dijk, both below their usual standards this season, while Ibrahima Konaté’s inconsistent defending has compounded Liverpool’s problems. Slot confirmed fringe players such as Joe Gomez and Wataru Endō are under consideration for selection at West Ham as he balances the need to act with the criticism he has previously faced for making changes. He said he was contemplating alterations to the side but had not finalised his team.
Team news offers a possible boost: goalkeeper Alisson trained on Thursday and is expected to return after missing the PSV game due to illness following a recent injury layoff. Hugo Ekitike, who was forced off at Anfield, is not thought to have suffered a major issue but is not guaranteed to be available. Florian Wirtz could be back in training on Saturday as he completes rehabilitation after missing the last two matches.
Tottenham manager Thomas Frank publicly backed Slot, describing him as an ‘unbelievable coach’ and expressing confidence that Slot and his staff will find solutions to steady the team.