Celtic manager Martin O’Neill says claims that Hearts players were assaulted during Saturday’s pitch invasion ‘have not been proved’ and has declined to condemn Celtic supporters outright. The allegation was made on Wednesday by Hearts shareholder Tony Bloom, and Police Scotland are investigating whether any criminality took place.
O’Neill said he and the club have been reviewing available footage and that, should evidence emerge, ‘there would be deep apologies’ from those at Celtic Park. He described the accusation as ‘a fairly severe allegation’ and stressed the importance of proof before assigning blame.
The incident followed a late goal that secured the Scottish Premiership title for Celtic, prompting some home fans to run onto the pitch in celebration. Hearts players left the stadium still in their kits, with the Tynecastle club saying the atmosphere inside the ground had been ‘menacing and threatening.’
While condemning any proven wrongdoing, O’Neill argued it was difficult to criticise supporters who celebrate a major victory. He noted that pitch invasions at the end of matches are not new and suggested they are part of the game’s emotion. ‘If Hearts had beaten us… and their fans spilled onto the pitch in euphoric glee, then I think I would have some understanding of that,’ he said, adding that he would not ‘condemn supporters in any way’ simply for entering the field after a final whistle.
O’Neill also questioned whether ending all pitch invasions is solely the responsibility of clubs, saying authorities play a role. He predicted such scenes could recur in the future if teams win major honours.
Police Scotland’s inquiry into the disorder continues, and Celtic have apologised for the scenes while saying they will cooperate with any investigation. If evidence shows players were assaulted, O’Neill indicated the club would make a formal, public apology.