England fast bowler Mark Wood has been cleared of a hamstring injury ahead of The Ashes, while Australia seamer Josh Hazlewood will miss the first Test in Perth, which starts on November 21.
Wood felt stiffness after bowling eight overs on the first day of England’s lone warm-up match against England Lions, having returned from almost nine months out following knee surgery. Following precautionary scans, the England and Wales Cricket Board said he had been “cleared of any concerns regarding his left hamstring.” Wood did not bowl on the final day of the tune-up but will train as planned ahead of the opener at Optus Stadium.
Team-mate Brydon Carse said Wood was relieved the issue was not serious and that he should be ready after a few days’ rest and training: “Woody found out last night that it’s nothing serious, it’s great news. For any player waiting on the result of a scan, it can be a little bit niggly but he was fairly confident that it was going to be nothing serious. He’s all up and about and full of energy at the moment. He’s got a huge amount of resilience. He’s going to have a couple of days off and then a good bit of training leading up to that first Test.”
There was less good news for Australia. Hazlewood suffered a hamstring problem playing for New South Wales in the Sheffield Shield. Initial imaging on Wednesday showed no clear muscle strain, but repeat scans confirmed a hamstring strain and a muscle tear, and Michael Neser has been added to Australia’s squad as cover.
Cricket Australia said: “Josh Hazlewood underwent repeat imaging that has confirmed a hamstring strain injury. Initial scans Wednesday were clear of muscle strain however follow-up imaging has confirmed the injury. Early imaging can occasionally underestimate low-grade muscle injuries.”
Hazlewood and captain Pat Cummins (back) will both miss the Perth Test. Scott Boland is expected to step in for Cummins, while the uncapped Brendan Doggett is the most likely replacement for Hazlewood in the XI, with Neser providing additional cover. Carse paid tribute to Hazlewood’s standing in world cricket: “He’s obviously a massive bowler for Australia and certainly someone I’ve admired throughout my career with the performances and his importance to Australian cricket. He’s been someone to look up to. He’s a phenomenal bowler and I’m sure we’ll see some part of him throughout the series.”
England’s Wood update is a boost as Ben Stokes’ side consider an all-seam attack in Perth. With several quicks in the squad capable of 90mph-plus, England could select a frontline pace attack of Wood, Stokes, Carse, Jofra Archer and Gus Atkinson. If the team opts to rest Wood, Josh Tongue is a likely alternative. Shoaib Bashir is the primary spinner in the squad with Will Jacks as spin cover; Joe Root could also provide occasional overs if England go with five seamers.
Sky Sports Cricket’s Michael Atherton highlighted the selection dilemma: “Whether England will risk Wood for Perth is a question that will have to be answered as he has had hardly any cricket. There is definite risk there. Ideally, England were hoping to hit Australia hard with Archer and Wood right at the start as the first two Tests, at Perth and Brisbane, are on the fastest pitches. The fast bowlers will really dictate terms there and decide the game. Today is a big boost for England in two ways, though, with Wood seemingly okay and Hazlewood out for Australia. With Cummins also missing for Australia you are taking out over 600 Test wickets between them. It is a massive blow for Australia. They have a good back-up for Cummins in Boland but with no Hazlewood as well they are going to have to go to either Doggett or Neser, with Sean Abbott also injured. It was always likely to be that way given the age profile of Australia’s squad – bowlers all in their mid-30s.”
England’s Ashes squad:
Ben Stokes (captain), Harry Brook (vice-captain), Jofra Archer, Gus Atkinson, Shoaib Bashir, Jacob Bethell, Brydon Carse, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Will Jacks, Ollie Pope, Matthew Potts, Joe Root, Jamie Smith, Josh Tongue, Mark Wood.
Australia squad for first Ashes Test:
Steve Smith (captain), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Brendan Doggett, Cameron Green, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Michael Neser, Mitchell Starc, Jake Weatherald, Beau Webster.
First Test: Optus Stadium, Perth — Friday November 21 to Tuesday November 25 (2.30am UK and Ireland time).
Ashes 2025-26 schedule (UK and Ireland times)
– First Test: Friday November 21 – Tuesday November 25 (2.30am) — Optus Stadium, Perth
– Second Test (day/night): Thursday December 4 – Monday December 8 (4.30am) — The Gabba, Brisbane
– Third Test: Wednesday December 17 – Sunday December 21 (12am) — Adelaide Oval
– Fourth Test: Thursday December 25 – Monday December 29 (11.30pm) — Melbourne Cricket Ground
– Fifth Test: Sunday January 4 – Thursday January 8 (11.30pm) — Sydney Cricket Ground