Martin O’Neill has rejected criticism of the pitch invasion at Celtic Park after Celtic clinched the Scottish Premiership title on Saturday, describing claims that the scenes “embarrassed Scottish football” as “nonsense”.
The celebrations followed Callum Osmand’s late goal that secured top spot for Celtic. Immediately after the strike, a number of home supporters ran onto the pitch. Hearts later said their players and staff suffered “serious physical and verbal abuse” during and after the incident and described the behaviour as “unacceptable” and “disgraceful”. Celtic issued an apology to Hearts and said they would co-operate fully with any investigation.
Asked whether the scenes had tarnished the image of Scottish football, O’Neill pushed back. “I’m sorry, I totally disagree with that,” he told talkSPORT. “I don’t know about the confrontations in terms of the Hearts players, and there’s a lot of hyperbole about that. Let’s find out the real picture.”
O’Neill said he believed the final whistle had been blown at the same moment the third goal went in and that the pitch incursion followed the excitement of a home side winning the title. “The fact is that when we scored the third goal, the game was essentially over. The referee has claimed that he had blown the final whistle at the end. And then there’s obvious excitement, we have scored to win the league,” he said.
Hearts had said club officials ushered their players down the tunnel and that staff safety was the club’s prime concern. The Tynecastle club added that the aftermath of the goal had “embarrassed Scottish football.” O’Neill rejected that characterisation. “Well, I don’t believe that, I just don’t believe it, I think it’s nonsense,” he said. When pressed on whether fans should have stayed off the pitch, he declined to single out Celtic supporters, replying: “Well, start telling that to every single football club.”
Police Scotland confirmed it is investigating the post-match scenes in conjunction with both clubs. The Scottish Professional Football League said supporters entering the field of play in any circumstances is “wholly unacceptable.” Celtic stated there was “no justification for this behaviour.”
The episode has also refocused attention on whether pitch invasions should be criminal offences in Scotland. Sky Sports News understands the SPFL plans to discuss with the Scottish Government making pitch invasions a criminal offence — a measure already in place in England and Wales — and to consider whether tailgating should also be criminalised.
Scotland’s First Minister John Swinney said the government would only consider new measures alongside a consultation on reforming football banning orders, which closed before the election. He said ministers will engage with clubs, football authorities and local councils to prevent a repeat and will consider any legislative steps needed. Swinney condemned fans who threw missiles at police officers during celebratory disorder in Glasgow city centre — incidents that resulted in arrests and injuries to officers — and said the unacceptable behaviour of a minority must be addressed.
The investigation into the Celtic Park incidents continues as authorities and football bodies weigh whether tougher laws or other measures are needed to deter pitch invasions and related disorder.