Harlem Eubank, cousin of Chris Eubank Jr, is preparing for his own moment in the spotlight.
On Friday at the Brighton Centre, the 31-year-old returns to action aiming to move on from the inconclusive loss to Jack Catterall in July. Calling himself “a work in progress”, Eubank says the defeat was a learning curve rather than an end.
“After the Catterall fight I got straight back in the gym,” he told Sky Sports. “Training hard, taking it day by day, continuing to be a better fighter. I’m ready to show that on November 21.” He added the night was frustrating but had positives, and that he’s taking everything he’s learned forward.
His opponent is 33-year-old Canadian Josh Wagner, whose 19-1 record masks tougher opposition than it may appear. “He’s only lost to David Papot, who was unbeaten and gave Liam Paro problems. Wagner’s no joke,” Eubank said. “These are the kind of top-15 fighters people overlook. He’s exactly the kind of test I need if I’m serious about becoming a world champion.”
A quieter, thoughtful presence in the sport, Eubank came to boxing after a promising football career and applies that discipline now to his fighting. “I’ve seen the tape. I know what Wagner likes to do. He’s got variety, sure, but it won’t be enough,” he said.
The bout will be Eubank’s third at the Brighton Centre, where he previously stopped Timo Schwarzkopf and Tyrone McKenna. Fighting in his hometown matters: “It’s always a special night in Brighton. The support, the atmosphere. Everyone loves boxing here. To give them another great night means a lot,” he said.
Eubank retains ties to Brighton & Hove Albion, having once been part of the club’s system, and hopes one day to fight at the Amex Stadium. For now, his focus is squarely on Wagner. “I’m not looking past this one. All my attention is on Josh Wagner. Once I’ve handled that, then it’s time to chase a world title shot.”