New Zealand allrounder Colin de Grandhomme has announced his retirement from international cricket. Check out full news here.
Colin de Grandhomme : News | Retirement | Stats
Born in Harare, de Grandhomme, who attended St. George’s College, Harare, began his career by playing for Manicaland in Zimbabwe, and was part of the Zimbabwe team at the 2004 Under-19 Cricket World Cup in Bangladesh.
|Full name||Colin de Grandhomme|
|Born||22 July 1986
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Relations||Laurence de Grandhomme (father)|
He played for Auckland in New Zealand domestic cricket from 2006 until 2018.
In 2017, he played in England for Warwickshire County Cricket Club after having played for Kolkata Knight Riders in the 2017 Indian Premier League.
In May 2018, he signed for Northern Districts ahead of the 2018–19 New Zealand domestic season.
He played for Royal Challengers Bangalore in the 2018 and 2019 IPL seasons.
In May 2021, he was signed by Hampshire for the T20 Blast. In 2021, he was drafted by Southern Brave for the inaugural season of The Hundred.
Colin de Grandhomme news
New Zealand all-rounder Colin de Grandhomme on Wednesday announced his retirement from international cricket.
De Grandhomme, 36, made the decision to bring down the curtain on an impressive international career after discussions this week with New Zealand Cricket, which has agreed to release him from his central contract.
The Zimbabwean-born Kiwi said a range of factors had played a part in his decision, not least his struggles with injury and the increasing competition for places in all three formats.
“I accept that I am not getting any younger and that the training is getting harder, particularly with the injuries,” said de Grandhomme in NZC statement.
“I also have a growing family and am trying to understand what my future looks like post-cricket. All of this has been on my mind over the past few weeks.”
New Zealand all-rounder Colin de Grandhomme quit international cricket on Wednesday after being unexpectedly drafted to play in Australia’s Twenty20 Big Bash League (BBL) around the new year.
The 36-year-old’s selection as a “gold” pick for the Adelaide Strikers in Sunday’s BBL draft presented a conflict with his central contract with New Zealand Cricket (NZC), which ran to next July.
NZC said in a statement on Wednesday that de Grandhomme had decided to retire from the international game and had been released from his contract.
Fellow Black Cap Trent Boult was also released from his central contract earlier this month to allow him to focus on playing in the lucrative T20 leagues proliferating around the world.
Zimbabwe-born de Grandhomme, who has played 29 tests, 45 one-dayers and 41 T20s for his adopted country over the last decade, said he had found the grind of international cricket getting harder and harder in recent weeks.
After representing Zimbabwe in the U19 World Cup, de Grandhomme moved to New Zealand, making his international debut on 11 February 2012 in a Twenty20 International against Zimbabwe.
His One Day International (ODI) debut came against South Africa on 3 March 2012. In November 2016, de Grandhomme was named in New Zealand’s Test squad for the side against the touring Pakistanis and debuted in the first Test match on 17 November.
On 2 December 2017, against the touring West Indies, de Grandhomme scored his first Test century.
The 71-ball century was the second-fastest century in Tests by a New Zealand batsman.
He left the tour ahead of the ODI matches against the West Indies after the death of his father in Zimbabwe.
In May 2018, de Grandhomme was one of twenty players to be awarded a new contract for the 2018–19 season by New Zealand Cricket.
In April 2019, he was named in New Zealand’s squad for the 2019 Cricket World Cup. He announced his retirement from international cricket on 31st August 2022.
Leave a Reply